Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's Not as Easy as it Looks!

Since I last posted, I have been consumed with completing my clinical and my food service rotation.  Food Service was such a contrast from my first rotation with a cyclic intensity to produce 120 meals in a given 75 minutes, while also getting ready to serve the staff a variety of grilled and hot entrees, salads and sandwiches.  Learning the process and participating in the tray assembling was humbling; I looked similar to Lucy and Ethel in the Chocolate Factory, desperately trying to keep up with the onslaught of chocolates…err…meal tickets.  In a hospital, there is no slow time, no down time, no holidays or snow days.  The staff was competent and patient with me and even thanked me for my time.   The work is hard, arduous and requires close attention; it’s not as easy as it looks!   I am glad I don’t have to do this everyday!

On the last day of my food service rotation, there was a song playing on the radio reminding me of my last job, and more importantly, the friends I had there.   The friends I worked with for almost eleven years gave me a great cookbook entitled, Nourish.  One of my family’s favorite snack foods is found in this book, Roasted Garbanzo Beans (adapted slightly).


Roasted Garbanzo Beans
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon black pepper
(2) 15 ounce cans Garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)

Miix the above ingredients together and bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.  Every 15 minutes stir and rotate the beans to cook evenly.  Serve as a snack.  It will last in a tupperware dish for 5-7 days at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment