Monday, September 27, 2010

Butternut Squash

It is nearing the end of September, with the leaves changing color and butternut squash is in season.  Butternut squash is a winter squash high in vitamin A, Potassium, Manganese, and Magnesium.  It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, a healthy fat providing protection from heart disease, central nervous system disorders, depression and rheumatoid arthritis.  Winter squash refers to the category of squash with a thicker skin, as opposed to a summer squash like zucchini.  It has a long shelf life but can look a bit daunting to cook because of it's thick skin, but once cut up it makes a delicious soup.  The recipe below was given to me by my friend Michele; I have made it many times, including as a first course at Thanksgiving!  I usually double the recipe and freeze half so I can reheat it with a sandwich on a night I get home late from work. Vitamin A (Retinol) is important for protecting skin, hair, bones and our immune system.  Retinol is also believed to have anti-aging properties (check the back label of any anti-aging cream and you will probably see Retinol listed).


Try this soup!
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
2 tsp. canola oil or olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 celery stalks chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder (cumin works well too if you don't have curry)
4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth (more or less broth depending on how large the squash and how thin or thick you like your soup)
1 butternut squash (about 2 lb.) peeled and chopped with seeds removed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsp nonfat plain greek yogurt or low fat sour cream (optional)
4 tsp. chopped fresh chives (optional)
Heat oil in stock pot and add onion and celery and cook until soft.  Add curry powder and cook for one more minute.  Add squash, broth (I like the broth to just cover the squash cubes, but you can make thicker or thinner according to your taste.)  Add salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes until squash is soft.  Then take small batches and put in blender or food processor until soup is smooth.  Pour into bowls and serve.



7 comments:

  1. Hi.
    Would you add the recipe for home made ganola bars? I have a friend that is very interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm very impressed and not the least bit surprised that my mom would say "keep things moving" on the internet :) This is wonderful and I will be referring back to it often when I'm looking for sound nutrition advice (even if it does ruin some yummy surprises)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family also freezes our tomatos at the end of the summer and it makes for the best tomato soup on those cold days in the winter. My moms tomato soup however, takes hours to cook and as a college student I do not have time. Do you have any simple recipes that take less than an hour for tomato soup. Also, I love salads but all the dressings I use aren't very good for you. Do you have any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Can you make a post about the benefits of eating different types of beans and maybe a soup you can make with black beans? I have this blog saved to my bookmark bar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY STUFF....and good for us too:) Can't wait to try the stuffed apples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic information and recipes! The soup sounds delicious, and more importantly, healthy! Do you have any good tofu recipes, such as lasagna or stir-fry? Saved this blog in my favorites . . . please keep adding great recipes and valuable "lessons."

    ReplyDelete
  7. L-,
    I was given fresh bluefish right off the sound yesterday. Blue fish can be oily. But I found this great recipe @:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/baked-bluefish-bluefish-in-cartoccio-recipe/index.html
    It cut through the "oilyness" of the fish. With a green vegtable (I made brussel sprouts in olive oil with a little sea salt and pepper), and a sweet potato, it made a tasty, colorful, heathly meal.
    Thunder

    ReplyDelete